7 fast facts about Lavender
Do you love the scent of Lavender?
Now that you have some background on Lavender essential oil, lets dive right into these scientifically verified 7 fast facts about Lavender.
- Lavender essential oil is extracted from fresh flowers of the Lavender plant. The purest and best Lavender oil is steam distilled, which means no chemicals are used to extract the oil.
- The name lavender comes from the Latin root lavare, which means "to wash."
Research has confirmed that lavender produces slight calming, soothing, anti-conflict, and sedative effects when its scent is inhaled.
- Be careful not to use lavender oil on boys and young men: A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine concluded that lavender and tea tree oils in some shampoos, soaps, and lotions may cause gynecomastia, breast development in boys. If you have any concerns, ask your doctor about using lavender for a child.-Update, new information confirms this is no longer a concern.
- The Journal of Medical Microbiology states "Lavandula oil shows wide-spectrum antifungal activity and is highly potent". "This is a good starting point for developing this oil for clinical use to manage fungal infections.” said Professor Silguero.
- A study carried out at Celal Bayar University, Turkey, and published in the journal Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine compared the effects of several treatments for wound healing on laboratory rats. The study concluded that wounds treated with Lavender essential oil closed faster than those treated with saline solution and Povidone Iodine (PI), which is often used to treat wounds after surgery.
- Hundreds of studies have verified the antibacterial effects of Lavender essential oil. Lavender has been proven to inhibit the growth of both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria including: Staphylococcus aureus and E coli. Here is one such study, published in the Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences
If you love Lavender skincare and bath products you will want to make sure you are getting products that are actually made with the therapeutic grade essential oil (not artificial fragrance oil). Check out our lavender products at Goodness Soaps. These are some of the best Lavender soaps, lotions, and bath products you will find anywhere: